Hi! My name is Mark Guzdial. I’m a Professor in Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Michigan.
I’m the Director of Program in Computing for the Arts and Sciences in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA).
I’m one of the core Engineering Education Research Faculty.
I have courtesy appointments in the School of Information and the Marsal Family School of Education.
Brief Biography: Mark Guzdial is a Professor in Computer Science & Engineering and Engineering Education Research at the University of Michigan. He studies how people come to understand computing and how to make that more effective. He was one of the founders of the International Computing Education Research conference. He was one of the leads on the NSF alliance “Expanding Computing Education Pathways” which helped US states improve and broaden their computing education. He invented and has written several books on the “Media Computation” contextualized approach to computing education. (See a TEDxGT talk on MediaComp.) With his wife and colleague, Barbara Ericson, he received the 2010 ACM Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator award. He is an ACM Distinguished Educator and a Fellow of the ACM. His most recent book is Learner-Centered Design of Computing Education: Research on Computing for Everyone (Morgan & Claypool, 2015). He received the 2019 ACM SIGCSE Outstanding Contributions to Education award (see my keynote video here).
I have created a small Media Computation page here.
- Creating Adoptable Computing Education Integrated into Social Studies Classes
- Teaspoon Languages
- The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts’ Program in Computing for the Arts and Sciences
- Two new courses I created:
- COMPFOR 111: Computing’s Impact on Justice: From Text to the Web
- COMPFOR 121: Computing for Creative Expression
- Bahare Naimipour (in EER)
- Tamara Nelson-Fromm (in CSE)
- Emma Dodoo (in EER, co-advised with Lisa Lattuca)
- Aadarsh Padiya (in SI, co-advised with Barbara Ericson)
Recent PhD Student Alums:
- Kathryn Cunningham: Assistant Professor at UIUC CS. (See post about her dissertation.)
- Miranda Parker: Assistant Professor at SDSU CS. (See post about her dissertation.)
- Briana Morrison: Associate Professor at U. Virginia CS, directing their CS Education center. (See post about her dissertation.)
- Amber Solomon: Army Research Laboratory. (See post about her dissertation.)